Hanover Gardens was developed in c.1850 by the Islington builder, John Glenn, who also developed Albert Square in Lambeth. This scheme, however, was far more modest in its proportions. The terraced houses enclose a pleasant green area planted with trees and grass. The garden was initially maintained by covenants paid by the lessees but by 1928 the owner, a Miss M A V Bate, maintained it at her own cost, employing a gardener. At that time it was described as 'a small enclosure at the end of a cul-de-sac. Rough grass with a few trees. Overlooked by dwelling-houses'.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2003
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928