This former commonland was allocated under an 1810 Enclosure Award to landowners in Lambeth Manor, and was partly used to form new roads. Rush Common today is a series of landscaped areas with grass, paths and trees, with a Tree Trail marked out in the south. A number of old trees may predate the 1810 enclosure. There are areas of private gardens that form part of the linear landscape, including those for residents of Tudor Close and Raleigh Gardens.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/09/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.lambeth.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Rush Common Act of 1806 forbade building on the land although St Matthew's Church (q.v.) was built on part of the common, as was the Tate Central Library and Brixton Theatre. Two parts of the common preserved as public open space are Tate Library Garden (q.v.) and the St Matthew's Church Gardens (q.v.) and Windrush Square is a recent green space. Land on the east side of Brixton Hill was acquired by LB Lambeth. The nature trail in Rush Common extends to Max Roach Park, a new park named after the famous American jazz percussionist, drummer and composter who died in 2007.
Marie Draper 'Lambeth's Open Spaces, An historical account', (LB Lambeth, 1979); Ian Yarham, Michael Waite, Andrew Simpson, Niall Machin, 'Nature Conservation in Lambeth', Ecology Handbook 26 (London Ecology Unit, 1994)