Stockwell Studios have been based in the former Annie McCall Maternity Hospital since c.1987. The hospital originated as Clapham Maternity Hospital, which was founded in 1889, the 3rd hospital in Britain to be founded and run by women, and the 1st maternity hospital. The purpose-built wing was designed by architects Hart and Waterhouse and opened in 1915, with an extension of 1938 designed by Gertrude Leverkus. Behind Stockwell Studios is a wildlife garden and community and arts education centre. There are beehives, a pond, tree house, orchard, bog garden, fern and mushroom area, and a kitchen garden in the walled garden.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.stockwellstudios.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Annie McCall Hospital originated as the Clapham Maternity Hospital, which was founded in 1889 by Dr Annie McCall (1859-1949), one of the pioneering women doctors whose work led to the gradual acceptance of women in the medical profession. At first the maternity hospital was based at No. 74 Jeffreys Road, moving to Nos.41-43 Jeffreys Road in 1892, later expanding into 2 adjacent houses, Nos. 37-39, when a purpose-built wing was built. Designed by architects Hart and Waterhouse and built at a cost of £8,000, the new wing opened in July 1915. It was renamed the Annie McCall Hospital in 1936. Dr McCall remained the hospital's director at least in name until her retirement in 1938. In 1938-9 an extension was built, designed by architect, Gertrude Leverkus, who was one of the first 3 female architects to be accepted as an associate by the RIBA. The hospital's original premises on Jeffreys Road were destroyed in WWII, but Nos.37-39 survived and interconnect with the 1915 wing. The hospital closed in the 1970s and for a time was used as council offices, but in c.1987 became artists’ studios that remain today.
The Builder, 6 March 1914; Listed Building National Register