|Bromley Hill Cemetery||Lewisham|
Bromley Hill Cemetery opened in 1907. The chapel and mortuary chapel were designed by Evelyn Hellicar, a local architect. The lodge is now gone, and a modern house replaces it. The cemetery has a simple path layout, and among the trees are cedar, firs and silver birch. The monument to Edward Fuller (d.1935) is unusual, a besuited figure over whom an angel stands. Among those buried here were Sir Edward Campbell (d.1945), MP for Bromley; Soho gang leader 'Italian Albert' Dimes (d.1972), and Roy Marchand (d.1940), a Battle of Britain pilot whose photograph was used on RAF recruitment posters. The cemetery, now full, has a lawn section and a memorial garden.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.bromley.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Evelyn Hellicar (1862-1929) was the son of Arthur Hellivar who was vicar of Bromley from 1865-1905. Evelyn undertook works in a number of churches and other buildings in Bromley, including repairs to the parish church, St Mark's Church and the War Memorial Cross for Holy Trinity Church, Bromley Common (q.q.v.). He became Architect of the Diocese of Rochester.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); LB Bromley website