Located near the river, the site was once market gardens on the estate owned by the Evelyn family, and was particularly famous for its onions, celery and asparagus. In 1884 the land was purchased for a public park by the LCC, who paid two-thirds of the purchase cost. Deptford Park was opened on 7 June 1897 by the LCC Chairman, Dr W J Collins. The layout was by Lt Col J J Sexby, Chief Officer of the Parks Department, and included several built features that no longer survive. The entrance on Evelyn Street has iron gates and railings and a short avenue of London plane trees, and the structural planting and design is largely intact with a perimeter walk, and perimeter planting of mature London planes.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.lewisham.gov.uk/inmyarea/openspaces/parks
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Deptford Park was transferred from the GLC to London Borough of Lewisham in 1971. The central area has been dug up, evidently for all-weather pitches; there are a number of rose beds by the play area, flowering cherries among other trees and C20th brick-built conveniences with coat of arms. In the 1990s improvements were carried out in two phases under Deptford City Challenge. Phase 1 included new railings and gates with brick piers, and in phase 2 a new playground was provided together with a formal paved area with seats and planting.
Dedication of Deptford Park, 1897; Lt Col J J Sexby 'The Municipal Parks, Gardens and Open Spaces of London', 1898; Document for Glendale/LB Lewisham Parks Conference 11 March 2000; Deptford Park: a brief guide (LB Lewisham Leisure, n.d.)