|The Pagoda House||Lewisham|
The Pagoda is a 3-storey Chinoiserie summerhouse built in 1769 for the Duke of Montagu by Sir William Chambers whose house, Montague House (demolished 1815) used to be near the Ranger's House on the north west of Blackheath. By 1815 it had been crowned with a lead-covered pagoda roof with 'upswept corners and hooked finials of forbidding size' (Pevsner), which may have been added c.1780 when the Duke of Buccleuch was owner of Montague House. Princess Caroline of Brunswick was an early C19th tenant of The Pagoda. A wing with veranda was added in early C19th, and further additions were made in the late C19th and C20th. The gardens were laid out in the 1920s in the style of Gertrude Jekyll.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Open House 2001 booklet; Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999. Information sheet available for Open House