Originally called Beaufort Gardens, Somerset Gardens is a close of mid C19th houses facing onto an oval area of grass with some trees, including a number of conifers, which acts as a communal green space. In 1928 the site was owned by James Staite Murray and Samuel Murray who maintained it for use as a tennis court by tenants of the surrounding houses. At the end of the close is a fine detached house; the groups of houses either side are of differing styles, gable-fronted with iron verandas or classically restrained facades.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2003
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
According to the Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares (1928): 'The money received for the use of the enclosure for tennis goes a small way towards keeping the enclosure in order' but the owners 'think that the enclosure should bring in more money per annum as they had to buy it'. It was described as a rectangular site enclosed with posts and chain, laid out as tennis courts with a few trees around the border.
UDP Conservation Area notes; Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares (1928)