|Whitefoot Recreation Grounds||Lewisham|
Whitefoot Recreation Ground was former agricultural land that had been part of the estate and park of Southend Hall. The circular pond in the recreation ground dates from at least the late C19th and may have been used by drovers. The site was reserved as open space when the LCC's Downham Estate was built between 1924-38, an extensive housing estate designed on 'garden city' principles, named after Lord Downham, former Chairman of LCC. The recreation ground site was owned by the Inner London Education Authority (ILEA) and the pond was used by disabled anglers. A brick structure in the middle of the pond may once have been a fountain. The northern edge is woodland with fine old oaks that may be remnants of ancient woodland like the southern boundary, which forms part of the Downham Woodland Walk, part of the Downham Estate.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2003
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.lewisham.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Southend Estate was owned by the Forster family until 1914. At one time the estate's northern boundary is what is now Whitefoot Lane, and the southern boundary was what is now Downham Woodland Walk. The estate was subdivided by the early C20th.
John Archer, Ian Yarham, 'Nature Conservation in Lewisham', Ecology Handbook 30, London Ecology Unit, 2000.