|Arthur Road, including Manor House||Merton|
This area once formed part of the Wimbledon Park estate and the grounds of the Manor House was to the east of Arthur Road. Remnants of the C18th 'Capability' Brown landscape that can be found near Arthur Road are now located in a later C19th housing development, and consist of the ha-ha of Brown's landscape, a surviving retaining wall, and an Artesian well built by Earl Spencer in 1798 in order to raise water for his house. There are surviving walls and doors to the churchyard of St Mary's Church in Church Road; and a short surviving section of wall, with door to the south of Stag Lodge.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/02/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Pending further research
Shirley Comrie-Smith, 'The Landscape of the Manor Houses of Wimbledon', AA dissertation 1992