|Beverley Meads and Fishpond Wood||Merton|
Beverley Meads is in the south-west corner of Wimbledon Common and was once part of Warren Farm. The land borders the Royal Wimbledon Golf Course and was acquired by Wimbledon Borough Council in the 1950s. It was laid out for a pitch and putt course in the 1970s, but was established as a local nature reserve in 1993. Paths run through the woodland and to the north is Fishpond Wood, managed by the London Wildlife Trust.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.wildlondon.org.uk; www.merton.gov.uk/environment/openspaces/naturereserves.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Beverley Meads was formerly part of the Abbey of Merton, which existed until the C16th. By the time it was acquired by Wimbledon Borough Council in the 1950s it was part of Warren Farm. Within Fishponds Wood are two ponds, possibly dating from medieval times, which may have been created to store water for a textile mill at Mill Corner on the Beverley Brook that burnt down c.1600. The woodland contains some trees of over 200 years old but is now largely scrub oak and overgrown fields used as grazing land. Not much is known about the old fishponds; the Council has rebuilt banks that drain the ponds.
Ian Yarham, Dave Dawson, Martin Boyle, Rebecca Holliday 'Nature Conservation in Merton, Ecology Handbook 29', London Ecology Unit, 1998; London Wildlife Trust 'Fishpond Wood & Beverley Meads Local Nature Reserve Management Plan 2001-2010' (2001)