Cherry Wood is a remnant of old woodland that once covered a larger area but was eventually built over by residential development. In 1837 it is shown on the Tithe Map as Great Wood, and, now surrounded by 1930s suburban housing, it is dominated by pedunculate oak trees. Until 1990 it was neglected and used as a dump, but work to enhance it was then undertaken by LB Merton and Cherry Wood was established as a nature reserve in 2000.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. http://www.merton.gov.uk/environment/openspaces/naturereserves
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The origin of the name is not known; Anglo-Saxon derivations for 'Cherry' can signify a family name or mean a church. An isolated fragment of former woodland is in the grounds of Hillcross Middle School, used as a nature study area. The Friends of Cherry Wood was set up in 1992 and the group has been active in preserving the woodland; work has included planting native trees and shrubs, installing nesting boxes and clearing bramble.
Ian Yarham, Dave Dawson, Martin Boyle, Rebecca Holliday 'Nature Conservation in Merton, Ecology Handbook 29', London Ecology Unit, 1998, p85; P Guest for LB Merton 'Cherry Wood Management Plan' (1998)