Figges Marsh is a remnant of former Mitcham commonland, the name apparently originating through a man called William Figg who held land here in the C14th. As with other Mitcham commonland it was vested in the Board of Mitcham Common Conservators in 1891 and was taken over by Mitcham UDC under a private Act in 1923.During WWII it was dug for allotments and trenches to prevent landing of enemy aircraft. It is an open triangular space with an avenue of trees either side of the path that runs through the site alongside London Road.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.merton.gov.uk/environment/openspaces/parks/parks_in_the_mitcham_area
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Ian Yarham, Dave Dawson, Martin Boyle, Rebecca Holliday 'Nature Conservation in Merton, Ecology Handbook 29', London Ecology Unit, 1998.