|Gap Road Cemetery||Merton|
Wimbledon Cemetery was set up by the Burial Board in 1876 (Meller has 1896) on a site that slopes gently upwards from south to north; its two Gothic chapels and grounds were laid out for £6,000. Originally 20 acres it was subsequently enlarged by a further 8 to the west, the extension slightly higher than the original cemetery, with short flights of steps and the old boundary indicated by trees and a number of piers of the original cemetery. Modern chapel built . Main entrance has original cast iron gates.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/07/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.merton.gov.uk/community-living/register/cemeteries/mertoncemeteries
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The cemetery was set up by the Burial Board in 1876 (Meller has 1896) on a site that slopes gently upwards from south to north and from the main entrance practically the whole site is visible. Two Gothic chapels and ground laid out for £6,000. It is laid out on a grid pattern and the original 20 acres were subsequently enlarged by a further 8 to the west, the extension slightly higher than the level of the original cemetery, with short flights of steps between old and new and the old boundary indicated by trees and a number of brick and stone piers of the original cemetery. There are two ragstone chapels on either side of the main axial entrance route, but they are so small and so far apart that they seem isolated in a sea of gravestones; in between them a modern chapel has been built. The original cast iron gates are still in place at the main entrance, but on either side are modern (?) cast iron railings. There are rose beds near the entrance and scattered trees particularly along boundaries. The rear of the cemetery has old entrance gates leading to Pitt Crescent. The more elaborate tombs are in the older area and there are some unusual graves including that of Kezia Leete (d.1921) with ceramic arches. Cooke Mausoleum, 1885, 'the best building in the place' (Meller) on western boundary - Italianate with pink and grey granite, originally had stained glass. Mayors and other local dignitaries buried here; stone commemorates Belgian refugees who died in Wimbledon in WWI in Roman Catholic area.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008)