|Glebe Court Estate||Merton|
Glebe Court Estate was a post-war development by Mitcham Borough Council providing high quality social housing. It has been praised for its good landscaping, with green space on the road frontage as a butter to the main road, and landscaped areas between and behind the buildings. The estate has long had an active Residents' Association, which in 1998 set up Glebe Court Management Organisation, which continues to manage the estate, including gardening and caretaking. It has also been active in a campaign against loss of trees on the estate.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.glebecourt.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Glebe Court Estate was designed to provide 264 dwellings. The first part of the estate, Nos. 1-102, was built in 1950, when the first residents moved in, and due to the high specifications of the accommodation, which included wooden floors, quarry tiling, hatches between lounge and kitchen and fitted wardrobes, was, in that time of austerity, nicknamed 'Dick Gifford's Folly' after the local councillor involved. Nos. 103-106 were built as bungalows for the elderly. The second part of the estate, Nos. 107-264, was built between 1951 and 1953, the properties now lacking the earlier 'luxurious' features. In 1998 the management of the estate was taken over from Merton Council by Glebe Court Management Organisation, a Tenant Management Organisation set up under the Housing (Right to Manage) Regulations 1994, which allows residents to collectively take on the running of their properties subject to training.
History on Glebe Court Management Organisation website