|Haig Memorial Homes||Merton|
Haig Memorial Homes was an estate built in the 1930s for military families and is located on either side of Green Lane. An appeal had been launched in 1928 by the Lord Mayor of London to provide homes for ex-servicemen, their widows and dependents, as a memorial to Field-Marshal Earl Haig of Bemersyde who had died in January 1928. It was built by the Trustees of the Haig Homes for disabled ex-servicemen and Officers' Families Association, and was opened in May 1931 by HRH Prince of Wales. The estate was laid out in courtyards of different characters, with ranges of two or three storeys set around grassed quadrangles. It was expanded in later years and the names of the blocks have associations with both world wars, for example Rhodes Moorhouse Court, which is named after 2nd Lieutenant W B Rhodes Moorhouse who died in WWI and his son, Flying Officer W H Rhodes Moorhouse who was killed in the Battle of Britain.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin, 1999) p450; 'Morden, Around the Parish Church', Merton Town Trails 5 (Merton Town Trails Association, 1978)