|Mary Tate Almshouses||Merton|
Mary Tate Almshouses overlook Cricket Green and were established to accommodate 12 poor widows or spinsters of the parish of Mitcham. They were built in 1829 on the site of a large C18th house owned by Miss Mary Tate whose family had lived in Mitcham for over a century. Designed by architect J C Buckler, the single storey almshouses form 3 sides of a square around a communal front garden, and are constructed in stock brick with central and end gables. A memorial to 'Mrs Tate', 1821 by sculptor Sir Richard Westmacott is in St Peter and St Paul's Church. The rear garden area was originally provided for the use of residents, but later informally rented out as allotments.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/09/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Mary Tate's Almshouses were endowed for 'twelve elderly ladies of good character, regular Church of England communicants and who had never been a charge on the Parish'. The almshouses were renovated in 1991 and continue to provide sheltered accommodation for women who have lived 'in the ancient parish of Mitcham' for at least 5 years. The OS of 1867 shows the garden fronting the almshouses and the garden behind with trees and a central path. By the late C20th the rear garden was being rented out on an informal basis as allotments. By 2002 some of the plots were described as overgrown and not all in use, when the almshouse charity sought planning permission to build 5 additional bungalows over the rear site. The design scheme included landscaping the area between the old and new almshouses as a courtyard with planting and a pergola, in order to provide a communal space and also vehicular access through removal of a section of the boundary wall.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999 p444; 'Mitcham, the Cricket Green', Merton Town Trails 4 (Merton Town Trails Association, 1977); LB Merton 'Mitcham Cricket Green Conservation Area Appraisal and Management Plan' Draft Consultation Document, Sept 2010