|Mitcham Garden Village||Merton|
Mitcham Garden Village is a small housing estate that was built in 1929-32, the half-timbered houses all of different design facing inwards around a keyhole-shaped close. It was set up by local benefactor Sir Isaac Wilson who lived in Mitcham and established a trust to build these two-storey houses for the elderly in what was once part of the land owned by the Cranmer family. The design was based on garden village principles then prevalent, with cottage style houses, each with its hedged front garden, set back behind the landscaped 'village green' and the whole enclave surrounded by informally landscaped open spaces.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/09/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Sir Isaac Wilson had already endowed Wilson Hospital, which opened in 1928, designed by the same architects, Chart, Son and Reading. Mitcham Garden Village was described by Nikolaus Pevsner as showing 'The spirit of Blaise hamlet over a century late'.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999 p446; LB Merton 'Mitcham Cricket Green Conservation Area Appraisal and Management Plan' Draft Consultation Document, Sept 2010