|Mitcham Greens (Fair Green, Three Kings Piece, Cranmer Green/Piece, Cricket Green, Lower Green, Vestry Hall Green)||Merton|
Mitcham Greens are remnants of a series of village greens around the old village of Mitcham, which were part of Mitcham Common until 1924. They had been vested in the Board of Mitcham Common Conservators in 1891 and were taken over by Mitcham UDC following a private Act in 1923. Upper Green was the central green of the village of Upper Mitcham, which attracted industrial development due to its position on the Wandle River. A short row of lime trees on the south side may be remains of more extensive formal planting from the late C19th.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/07/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.merton.gov.uk/environment/openspaces/parks/parks_in_the_mitcham_area
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Mitcham Greens include Fair Green to the north, which has a clock tower of 1897. Re-landscaped in recent years, Fair Green is named for the Goose Fairs that were held here by Charter.
Three Kings Piece takes its name from the nearby Three Kings Pub. The Pond, which has a feature showing Three Kings, is the oldest of the ponds around Mitcham Common and was probably once a village pond, shown on a map of 1685 as Heatherdernderry Pond. Since WWI Three Kings Pond has had a concrete and brick surround.
Cranmer Green or Piece is to the south of The Canons (q.v.) and takes its name from the Cranmer family who lived at The Canons from 1761-1843, its pond probably late C18th in origin.
Cricket Green is one of the country's oldest cricket greens, where cricket has been played since the early C18th. On the green is the Ruff Memorial stone. Overlooking Cricket Green are Mary Tate's Almshouses (q.v.), built here in 1829 on the site of an C18th house owned by the donor's family. Another small green, Police Green is part of Cricket Green.
Lower Green is to the west, and Upper Green is of more recent date and likely to be modified.
Ian Yarham, Dave Dawson, Martin Boyle, Rebecca Holliday 'Nature Conservation in Merton, Ecology Handbook 29', London Ecology Unit, 1998; The Parks Agency 'Commons, Heaths and Greens in Greater London. A short report for English Heritage', 2005; Barry Nicholson & Alan Scott for LB Merton 'Nature Conservation Management Plan for Cranmer Green' (2001); LB Merton 'Mitcham Cricket Green Conservation Area Appraisal and Management Plan' Draft Consultation Document, Sept 2010