|Morden Cemetery and North East Surrey Crematorium||Merton|
Morden Cemetery was originally called Battersea New Cemetery, set up by Battersea Burial Board in 1891; the Crematorium was opened in 1958. There are extensive grounds with formal and informal features, well planted with mature trees, and extensive rose gardens. A wide drive flanked by Lombardy poplars leads to the chapel from the main entrance, which has half-timbered lodge, fine railings and gates with Gothicised piers.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2002
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.wandsworth.gov.uk; www.nes-crematorium.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The cemetery was set up by Battersea Burial Board in 1891 then called Battersea New Cemetery, when it was clear that Battersea Cemetery (q.v.) would be inadequate. Prior to this the land was rural and some areas remain meadowland at present. The Crematorium opened in 1958 and is jointly owned by LBs Merton, Sutton and Wandsworth. The cemetery has extensive grounds with a wide formal drive lined by Lombardy poplars leading to the chapel which was designed by W C Poole, where a porte-cochère stood. There is a half timbered lodge near the main entrance, which has attractive railings and fine entrance gates with Gothicised piers, and some way up the driveway to the left is a small rustic shelter. The grounds combine formal and informal features and are well planted with mature trees. There is a garden of remembrance and extensive rose gardens. A number of memorials dedicated to the world war dead from various different parishes are situated here, including Chelsea and Battersea, and there is a Muslim burial section.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; Ian Yarham, Dave Dawson, Martin Boyle, Rebecca Holliday 'Nature Conservation in Merton, Ecology Handbook 29', London Ecology Unit, 1998, p55.