|Royal Wimbledon Golf Course||Merton|
Golf was played informally on Wimbledon Common from the early C19th. In 1864 members of the nearby London Scottish Rifle Volunteers formed the London Scottish Golf Club, playing from Mrs Doggett’s Cottage beside the Windmill on a 7-hole course. By 1869 civilians were also admitted although the club was entirely managed by the military. In 1871 the course was extended to 18 holes before the newly formed Common Conservators could intervene. In 1881, the military and civilian sides of the club split, the former retaining the name London Scottish, the latter becoming Wimbledon Golf Club, which gained the prefix Royal in 1882 for its patron, the Prince of Wales. Initially, the clubs shared the same course but in 1907 the Royal Wimbledon began to lay out a new course on some 97 hectares of adjoining farmland, leased from Warren Farm. The course was later redesigned in 1924 and this is the course occupied by the club today. To the north is London Scottish Golf Course, also known as Wimbledon Common Golf Course.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.rwgc.co.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Royal Wimbledon Golf Course is the site of the Old Park established in the 1570s by Sir Thomas Cecil and attached to Warren House, later Cannizaro House (q.v.). In 1705 the park comprised 121 hectares of 'poor quality' land. Early maps show woods either side of Copse Hill but by the 1st OS map there is no tree cover shown on the golf course lands. In the 1860s there was a strip of woodland running east-west approximately halfway between the stream at the bottom and Caesar's Camp, following the northern boundary of the southern area, which was known as Shadwell Wood by the early C20th. The woodland between the stream and Copse Hill was known as Wimbledon Wood. From 1827 the parkland was owned by the Drax family and in 1907 Royal Wimbledon Golf Club negotiated a lease and opened the Golf Course on Easter Monday 1908. The park was eventually sold between the wars. Royal Wimbledon Golf Course has been described as 'one of the finest courses in this country, equal in extent and superior in the number and variety of hazards to the far famed links of St Andrews'.
Ian Yarham, Dave Dawson, Martin Boyle, Rebecca Holliday 'Nature Conservation in Merton, Ecology Handbook 29', London Ecology Unit, 1998, p.62; History on Royal Wimbledon Golf Club website; Charles Cruikshank, 'A History of Royal Wimbledon Golf Club'