|Sacred Heart Churchyard||Merton|
Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church was built between 1886-1901 by architect Frederick Walters, a large flint and stone church on a sloping site purchased for the purpose by Edith Arendrup, a wealthy Catholic convert. The churchyard has a large area of grass with a number of trees including oak to the south and west of the church on the boundaries with Edge Hill and Darlaston Road. Paths lead to the church from two entrance archways flanked by flint and stone piers. Sacred Heart Parish Hall was built in 1962.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.sacredheartwimbledon.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Edith Arendrup (d.1933) came to Wimbledon in 1877 and initially had a small chapel built onto her house in Cottenham Park Road since there was no Roman Catholic church in the district. She persuaded the Jesuits at Roehampton to say Mass here and soon those wishing to attend had grown to the extent that in 1883 she decided to build a new Roman Catholic church in a prominent position. She purchased building plots on the new Darlaston Road from the owner, Revd John Brackenbury, ex-Headmaster of Wimbledon School (q.v.), but negotiated through a Protestant solicitor having heard he would never agree to selling the land for 'Popish purposes'. The nave was ready for use by 1887 but the church was not completed until 1901. It took until the 1930s for Catholics to be accepted into the community and in earlier years protests were made by Protestants opposed to 'the hotbed of Jesuit Popery'.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; Richard Milward, 'Two Wimbledon Roads: the story of Edge Hill and Darlaston Road'. (LEHDRA, 1991); History of the church on Sacred Heart Church website