|St Lawrence Churchyard, Morden||Merton|
The parish church of St Lawrence was built in 1636, probably a rebuilding of an older church as St Lawrence was often a Saxon dedication. Additions were made to the church in later centuries. The churchyard has a lych-gate on London Road. Gravestones are set within the grass, and there are a number of good C18th monuments, including that of John Howard (d.1764). Among those buried here were Huguenots who came to England fleeing religious persecution, including Peter Mauvillian who set up calico works along the Wandle at Ravensbury in the early C18th. Part of the burial ground was built over for a new Rectory.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.stlawrencechurch.co.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Morden remained a rural village until housing development took place in the C20th, the underground station opening here in 1926. The church is adjacent to Morden Park (q.v.), formerly an estate of around 75 hectares, which was part of the Manor lands and leased to John Ewart in the C18th. In the church are memorials to the Garth family who from the C16th - C18th were Lords of Morden Manor and lived at Morden Hall. The Morden Park and Morden Hall estates were later reunited when the Hatfeild family purchased Morden Hall in 1872, and later Morden Park. The churchyard contains the grave of Gilliat Hatfeild (d.1941) the last owner of the Morden estate. On his death Hatfeild left Morden Hall to the National Trust in order to preserve it intact although the Trust did not directly manage the estate until 1980. Morden Park was also saved for public open space. Others buried in the churchyard include Captain Alexander Maconochie, Governor of an Australian penal settlement and August Shermuly (d.1929) who invented the pistol rocket life-saving apparatus, whose grave has an image of a sailing ship and the words 'Homeward Bound'.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; Evelyn Jowett, 'An Illustrated History of Merton and Morden', Merton and Morden Festival of Britain Local Committee, 1951; 'An hour passed at Ravensbury Park', The Wandle Industrial Museum (n.d.). History on St Lawrence Church website.