|West End Chesed V'Ameth Cemetery||Merton|
This small Jewish cemetery was established by the West End Chesed V'Ameth Burial Society in 1915, with a small chapel at the entrance with the date 1932. It is adjacent to Streatham Park Cemetery, which predates the Jewish cemetery. The OS map of 1910 shows the site largely tree-covered. Located behind brick walls from Rowan Road, its design is typical of many Jewish cemeteries with little or no planting and ranks of tall white marble headstones on either side of a central path that runs through the cemetery. Many of those buried here were East Europeans. Near the entrance is a tablet to Philip Kerne, former director of the West End Chesed V'Ameth Burial Society. It is now closed to burials.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/02/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008)