|East Ham Jewish Cemetery||Newham|
East Ham Jewish Cemetery was established in 1919. Inside the main entrance is a small area of flowering shrubs, and there are pollarded limes along the two main axes, otherwise the whole area is laid out symmetrically with tarmac paths and gravestones set in gravel. There are some traditional classical funerary monuments. In the centre is a white painted brick prayer hall with cloister /colonnades designed by H W Ford, 1924, which is described by Meller as 'architecturally more suited to a Mediterranean seaside resort than a cemetery'. Next to the prayer hall is a hedged war memorial of gravestones set in grass. Those buried in the cemetery include the founder of the London Jewish Hospital, Isidore Berliner (d. 1925), and Solomon Mendeloff (c.1970) who as Ted 'Kid' Lewis was the world welter-weight boxing champion in 1915.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/02/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.theus.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008)