Emmanuel Church Forest Gate was designed in 1852 by Sir George Gilbert Scott and occupies a corner position on the busy junction of Romford Road and Upton Lane. The church was built to serve the growing suburb of Upton, and was described by Nikolaus Pevsner as 'a country church come to town'. It originally had patterned tiles and a timber steeple with a tiled base. The parish was united with that of St Peter Upton Cross when the latter was demolished in the 1960s.The churchyard is surrounded by plain cast iron railings but a photograph of 1905 shows it surrounded by wooden palings. Tombs are set among grass with some mature trees including lime and sycamore, with paths running through the cemetery, which contains some tombs of historic interest, including an obelisk and a broken column.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/02/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
EH Register of Listed Buildings; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993); Bridget Cherry, Charles O'Brien, Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 5: East' (Yale University Press, 2005 ed)