|Manor Park Cemetery and Crematorium||Newham|
Manor Park Cemetery was opened in 1874 by the Manor Park Cemetery Company on the eastern part of what had been Hamfrith Farm, previously owned by John Gurney. The cemetery today has two areas of woodland, the largest in its north-east corner, and many woodland birds are found here. There are rows of mature lime trees along the boundaries and an avenue of horse chestnuts follows the old path through the middle, with other trees scattered throughout, including cedar and other evergreens, conifers. The original chapel, built in 1877, was largely destroyed by bombing in 1944 apart from its spire, which still remains and was rebuilt in brick with a crematorium added to its east end in 1955. The cemetery has a war memorial, crematorium remembrance area, together with an extensive Garden of Remembrance.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.mpark.co.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The land for the cemetery was owned from 1872 by a land company from whom the Cemetery Company then acquired it. From medieval times East and West Ham was intensively farmed so that by the late C13th most the woodland in the area had disappeared, apart from Hamfrith Wood, which was not felled until c.1700 and which had been situated between what is now Romford Road and Manor Park Cemetery.
The first burial was that of William Nesbitt on 25 March 1875. Among those buried here are two holders of the Victoria Cross: John Cornwell (1900-1916), the second youngest holder of the medal, posthumously awarded for gallantry at the Battle of Jutland in 1916, and also Sidney Godley (d.1957), one of the first five soldiers to receive the award in 1914. Also buried here is Annie Chapman (d.1888), the second victim of Jack the Ripper; Mary Orchard (1830-1906), whose monument was erected 'in grateful memory' by the four children of Queen Victoria's second daughter Princess Alice. For forty years she had looked after the Princess's children, the youngest of whom, Alexandra (Alix), became Empress of Russia on her marriage to Nicholas II; the oldest daughter became the mother of Earl Mountbatten. Near the chapel is a Garden of Remembrance with extensive rose beds around a central open sided octagonal pavilion in which a small fountain plays; this garden has had new paths created to allow wheelchair users. In the woodland is a secluded area of graves, entered through a rustic pergola
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); John Archer/Ian Yarham, Nature Conservation in Newham, London Ecology Unit, 1991.