|Memorial Garden, Bromley by Bow Gasworks||Newham|
The Memorial Garden was laid out to commemorate those who worked at the Bromley by Bow Gasworks who had died in the two world wars. A gas lamp burnt constantly in the centre of the garden, which was largely grassed, with two belts of mature poplar trees, many pollarded, down each side. It was used by employees of the gasworks but not publicly accessible at that time. Woodland at the eastern end had developed on the site of an earlier garden, unmanaged since WWI, with a dense canopy of sycamore, a few horse chestnut, poplar, lime and pear trees with understorey of elder, rowan, hawthorn, garden privet, mulberry and fig, the latter three species presumably from the former garden. Part of the site was later scheduled for redevelopment by the London Docklands Development Corporation.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/02/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Pending further research on the current state of the garden. Bromley by Bow Gas Works was built in 1870-73 by the Imperial Gas Light and Coke Company on the site of a former explosives factory. In 1878 it was bought by the Gas Light and Coke Company, which owned the larger works at Beckton. In its heyday it occupied 65 hectares and produced 21 million cu. ft of gas daily. The industry was nationalised in 1949. The arrival of North Sea Gas led to the decline of Bromley Gas Works and gas production ceased in 1976; its 7 gas holders were then used for storage of North Sea Gas. The North Thames Region of British Gas had its services and supplies headquarters here as well as the London Gas Museum and Library. A statue of Sir Corbet Woodhall (1841-1916), engineer and Governor of the Gas Light and Coke Company, which had formerly stood at the Beckton works, was moved to the Memorial Garden after the gasworks closed.
John Archer/Ian Yarham, Nature Conservation in Newham, London Ecology Unit, 1991.