|Plashet Jewish Cemetery||Newham|
Plashet Jewish Cemetery was opened by the United Synagogue Company in 1896 on a rectangular site, simply laid out on a grid pattern. Originally there was a central prayer hall, which was demolished following bomb damage, but a small brick building is sited just inside the main entrance. The tombstones are generally in straight rows and surrounded by gravel, and while most are simple, among them are monuments topped with columns and urns, and a few family plots set with balustrades. The cemetery was known as the Trade Unionists Cemetery and past secretaries of the Cigars Union and Costermongers Union are buried here.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/02/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.theus.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The former entrance lodge is now concealed behind a 6 foot concrete fence and is no longer in cemetery use. The only greenery is an avenue of small, pollarded chestnut trees, some now dead, which line the main path through the graveyard. Among those buried here was Sir John De Villiers, knighted for his work in connection with the Venezuelan - Surinam frontier negotiations, and librarian and Deputy Keeper of Printed Books and Head of the Map Room at the British Museum. The cemetery suffered serious vandalism in May 2003 when 386 tombstones were vandalised.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); The United Synagogue website