|St Mary the Virgin Churchyard, Little Ilford||Newham|
Before the stone church was built here in the C12th, it appears to have been the site of an earlier Saxon-Norman timber church. Originally called Ilford, the parish was later renamed Little Ilford to distinguish it from Great Ilford. The small church of St Mary the Virgin was rebuilt in the early C18th and stands on a corner site with a clinker and brick wall on Church Road and a low concrete post fence on Winifrede's Avenue, planted with a may hedge. The churchyard has a number of mature horse chestnuts and the gravestones in their original positions are set in grass, including a number of railed chest tombs such as that of Thomas Smith and family, and the C18th sarcophagus for the Hatch family of Claybury Hall, Woodford Bridge. An area of flower beds has been laid out as a small memorial garden.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/02/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
In 1724 the chancel was rebuilt, and a chapel for the Lethullier Family of Aldersbrook was added on the north side. In 1801 Little Ilford had 85 inhabitants and was the smallest parish in the Becontree Hundred. It did not substantially expand until the 1860s when residential development began in Manor Park, the name by which the area became generally known. Little Ilford Manor had included that of Aldersbrook, where the City of London Cemetery (q.v.) is now located. An early memorial brass in St Mary's Church commemorates Thomas Heron, the son of a former Lord of the Manor, who died in 1517 as a schoolboy. Thomas's brother, who became Lord of the Manor, was married to the daughter of Sir Thomas More executed under Henry VIII. In the 1890s Little Ilford Manor was sold for housing. St Mary's was the parish church of Little Ilford until 1938. It was the third civil parish that made up the new borough of Newham alongside West Ham and East Ham.
EH Register of Listed Buildings; John Archer/Ian Yarham, Nature Conservation in Newham, London Ecology Unit, 1991; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993); Bridget Cherry, Charles O'Brien, Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 5: East' (Yale University Press, 2005 ed)