|Buckingham Road Cemetery||Redbridge|
Ilford Burial Board, established in 1880, laid out Buckingham Road Cemetery as an extension of the burial ground of St Mary the Virgin Great Ilford and initially the cemetery was known as Great Ilford Cemetery. It had its own chapel, due to be demolished by early 2011, and the first burial took place on 4 September 1881. A memorial near the entrance commemorates Sir Peter Griggs, the 1st MP for Ilford, who died in 1920, his monument surmounted by an angel. The cemetery has notable limes, particularly on its south side with C19th railings on the west boundary.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/09/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.redbridge.gov.uk; www.westerleighgroup.co.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Ilford Burial Board, established in 1880, laid out Buckingham Road Cemetery as an extension of the burial ground of St Mary's Great Ilford (q.v.) and it has its own chapel. Then known as Great Ilford Cemetery, the first burial was on 4 September 1881. Headstones, graves and monuments are set in gravel and cinders. The cemetery has notable limes, particularly on its south side with C19th railings on the west boundary; a concrete slat fence to the south. C19th brick wall separates the cemetery and St Mary's adjacent churchyard with a gate, also C19th, providing access. In the cemetery is a memorial to Sir Peter Griggs, the 1st MP for Ilford, who died in 1920, the monument is surmounted by an angel, and is near the Buckingham Road entrance to the cemetery. Tarmac paths run through the site. The chapel is closed and boarded up and scheduled for demolition late 2010 / early 2011. The cemetery is now managed and maintained by the Westerleigh Group, along with LB Redbridge's other cemeteries and 4 closed churchyards.
Victoria County History, p256