|Christchurch Green Recreation Ground||Redbridge|
Christchurch Green Recreation Ground was formerly known as Spratthall Green. It surrounds Christ Church Wanstead, a small open parkland containing notable horse chestnuts, oak, ash, sycamore and sweet chestnut that possibly dated from the C17th/18th. It was laid out c.1900, a flat grassed area with a network of diagonal intersecting tarmaced paths, predominantly flanked by horse chestnut, with some planting of evergreens.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/09/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.redbridge.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Christchurch Green Recreation Ground formerly known as Spratthall Green, surrounds Christ Church Wanstead (q.v.) and is a small open parkland containing notable horse chestnuts, oak, ash, sweet chestnut (possibly dating from the C17th/18th) and sycamore, which was laid out c.1900. It is a flat grassed area with a network of diagonal intersecting tarmaced paths, predominantly flanked by horse chestnut, with some planting of evergreens singly, small groups or in one case a line - largely hollies. Cast composition fencing forms the perimeter of the park, which echoes the wooden paling fence that surrounds Christ Church; a children’s playground is in one corner.
Winston G Ramsey (ed) 'Epping Forest Then and Now' (After the Battle, 2nd ed, 1986; W V Phillips, 'Wanstead through the Ages' (1946, 1966 ed)