Clayhall Park is on former land of the Manor of Clay Hall, which was broken up in 1927. First mentioned in 1203, it probably remained in ownership of the de la Claie or Clay family until 1313 and then passed through various owners. The manor house, which must have once been a substantial building, was demolished in the mid C18th and replaced by a farmhouse. The park opened to the public in 1934 and the farmhouse, outbuildings and chapel were demolished in 1935. The large, flat park is interspersed with sycamore, ash, oak, lime and horse chestnut avenue.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/09/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.redbridge.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Clayhall Park was formed upon the manor of Clay Hall, which was broken up in 1927. The Manor of Clayhall was first mentioned in 1203 when it was a free tenement held of Barking Abbey. It probably remained in the de la Claie/Clay family until 1313 when it was sold to Walter de Basingge. Various owners ensued and in 1410 John Tiltesbury of London, a skinner, and his wife Margaret conveyed the Manor of Clayhall to William and John de Fynd(ere?) and others, which appears to be the first time the manor was thus named. By the 1760s the estate was being let to tenant farmers but in the C17th the manor house was probably a considerable building since it was the residence of rich and titled owners. The house was demolished in the mid C18th and replaced by a farmhouse. The park opened to the public in 1934 and the Manor House farmhouse, outbuildings and chapel were demolished in 1935. The large, flat park is interspersed with sycamore, ash, oak, lime and horse chestnut. It has early C20th railings and gates (stamped ‘Croggan London’) opening onto Longwood Gardens. Of fairly recent date is a circular slightly sunken garden area in the centre of four long covered walkways or pergolas in cruciform shape.
A History of Clayhall; Victoria County History