|Fairlop Waters Country Park||Redbridge|
Fairlop Waters Country Park is part of the larger Fairlop Plain. The famous Fairlop Oak was reputedly the largest tree in Hainault Forest, the site of a famous fair held on the first Friday in July until c1892 although the oak itself had been blown down. The open ground was created when part of The King's Wood was cleared in 1853 and divided by the Crown into three farms. Part of Forest Farm became a WWI balloon station, which may have saved it from development, and Hainault Farm had an RFC landing ground. In 1938 part of the land was sold to the Corporation of London who had plans drawn up to build City Airport here. In WWII it became RAF Fairlop, after which it was sold to Ilford Borough Council and used for gravel extraction. Gravel pits were flooded to create lakes and it was then opened as a country park and golf course. There are now 3 lakes, one of which is used for boating.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/09/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.redbridge.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Bridget Cherry, Charles O'Brien, Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 5: East', Yale University Press, 2005 p322/3; Edward Walford, 'Village London, the Story of Greater London, Part 2 - North and East', first published 1883/4 (1985 ed., The Alderman Press)