|Holy Trinity Churchyard, Mossford||Redbridge|
Holy Trinity Barkingside Churchyard is among the oldest burial grounds in Barkingside, now closed to burials. The church is marked on early C19th plans as 'Mosfoot' parish church. In the churchyard are numerous headstones, and a few chest tombs and monuments; the earliest surviving grave dates from c.1790. The churchyard is adjacent to Barkingside Cemetery; it has notable horse chestnut and willow, and the boundary to Mossford Green has a low brick perimeter wall and simple iron entrance gate with arch/light. The present church, a yellow brick building in Norman style, was rebuilt in 1839-40 to designs of Edward Blore, and extended twice since. The chancel was added in c.1898, and the north and west vestries were added in the C20th.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/09/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.achurchnearyou.com
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Barkingside was part of the municipal borough of Ilford, which once lay within the large estate lands belonging to Barking Abbey. Its position in relation to the Hainault Forest may have been the reason for the name Barkingside despite its distance from Barking. In the 1880s the hamlet consisted of a few houses and labourers' cottages, the church, public houses and the charitable institution of Dr Barnardo, but even into the 1920s the surrounding area was quite rural. Barkingside station opened in 1903.
Edward Walford, 'Village London, the Story of Greater London, Part 2 - North and East', first published 1883/4 (1985 ed., The Alderman Press); Victoria County History; Ilford Past and Present