|St Mary the Virgin Great Ilford Churchyard||Redbridge|
The building of a new parish church at Ilford was under discussion in 1823 although the division of the parish of Barking was first proposed in 1650. Due to strong opposition it did not get built until 1830 when the new ecclesiastical parish of Great Ilford was created by Order in Council. The parish churchyard of St Mary the Virgin Great Ilford is now closed to new burials, but has a moderate collection of early C19th headstones and some fine lime trees. In 1863 the Vicar's wish to extend the churchyard was opposed by some parishioners. Today it adjoins Buckingham Road Cemetery, established by Ilford Burial Board in 1881 and originally known as Great Ilford Cemetery.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/09/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.stmarysilford.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The building of a new parish church at Ilford was under discussion in 1823 although the division of the ancient parish of Barking had first been suggested in 1650. Due to strong opposition it did not get built until 1830 when the new ecclesiastical parish of Great Ilford was created by Order in Council. It is known as Great Ilford to distinguish the parish from Little Ilford in Newham. The new parish included the whole of Ilford Ward and part of Chadwell Ward to the north of Green Lane and west of Faircross Lane. The land was donated by John Scrafton Thompson of Clements, who was a powerful supporter of Robert Hall-Dare of Cranbrook, a key mover in the formation of the new parish. The brick church was built between 1829 and 1831 to designs by James Savage in ‘Decorated style’. Its erection was celebrated by a ‘sumptuous dinner at the Angel’. The church originally consisted of the unaisled nave and a small west tower with a spire and no projecting chancel. The present tower was built in 1866 as a memorial to John and Elizabeth Davis of Cranbrook. In 1920 a tall chancel, Lady Chapel, organ chamber and vestries were added but the scheme to alter the remainder of the church was never carried out. The parish of St Mary’s was subsequently divided by the creation of the parishes of Holy Trinity Barkingside in 1841 (q.v.), St Chad’s in Chadwell Heath in 1895, and St Clement, Ilford in 1904 (since demolished).
St Mary the Virgin Great Ilford has a late C18th parish churchyard, now closed to new burials, with a moderate collection of early C19th headstones and some notable lime trees. In 1863 the Vicar wished to extend the churchyard but this was opposed by some of the parishioners. Today the churchyard has a decayed C19th brick wall to the south adjoining Buckingham Road Cemetery (q.v.), established by Ilford Burial Board in 1881 and originally known as Great Ilford Cemetery. A brick wall and iron gate form the boundary to Ilford High Road. There is a fine cedar by the west door of the church.
Edward Walford, 'Village London, the Story of Greater London, Part 2 - North and East', first published 1883/4 (1985 ed., The Alderman Press); Ilford: A Second Selection by Ian Dowling and Nick Harris, Archive Photos Series, 1995; Ilford’s Yesterdays by George Caunt, Caunt Publishing, 1964.