|Diamond Jubilee Gardens||Richmond|
Diamond Jubilee Gardens is a new public garden created on part of the former site of Twickenham Swimming Pool, which opened in 1935 in commemoration of the Jubilee of George V. The public swimming pool closed for repairs in 1981 but did not re-open and the site became derelict. Part of the land opened in 2005 as a public open space. Following public consultation the new riverside garden was created in 2012, renamed in commemoration of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee; a black poplar was planted by HRH Princess Alexandra on 23 June 2012. The design of the garden recalls the former use with swimming lanes demarcated in the grass of the main lawn.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2014
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.richmond.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
In 1924 Twickenham Urban District Council purchased land between the Thames, King Street,
Water Lane and Wharf Lane in order to provide public recreational space. The Ministry of Health enabled the purchase through a loan. In 1928 a large house on part of the land, Richmond House, was demolished and in 1929 part of the land was sold off; the King Street Parade was later built here in 1937. In 1935 Twickenham Lido had opened in commemoration of George V's Silver Jubilee. A popular facility, it was eventually closed for repairs in 1981 but did not re-open, and gradually the neglected site became derelict. However, for many years the Twickenham Riverside Terrace Group campaigned to save the old lido site from development and to return it as a public amenity for the community. In 2005 part of the site was laid out as Jubilee Gardens, with a café and playground. Later, following public consultation, the garden was re-ordered and re-named Diamond Jubilee Gardens in honour of Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee, opening to the public on 24 June 2012. HRH Princess Alexandra officiated at the opening ceremony, organised by the Twickenham Riverside Trust and LB Richmond Council, sponsored by the Rugby Football Union.
The riverside garden has won two awards in its short life, including a RHS Britain in Bloom 2013 Sustainable Landscaping Award. In 2013 the Frame Gardens Festival Commission was mounted on the east boundary wall, a series of artworks by Emily Allchurch with pupils at Orleans Park School celebrating the cultural heritage of the architecture, parks and gardens in the borough. They were inspired by C18th topographical prints of the borough and had assistance from Kew Gardens to identify local plants and flowers with beneficial medical properties.
Adjacent to the gardens along the riverside is an area of landscaping, laid out as part of the Twickenham Embankment Upgrade Scheme Phase 2. designed to create a pleasant environment linking the riverside open spaces between Diamond Jubilee Gardens and York House Gardens (q.v.). The upgrade works are due to be completed in May 2014.
Twickenham Riverside Trust website: www.twickenhamriversidetrust.org.uk/thediamondjubile.html