|Dissenters Burial Ground||Richmond|
Hidden away at the end of a cul de sac is the remains of the dissenters' burial ground of the East Sheen Congregational Church. An independent chapel was first built on Sheen Lane in 1716 and later enlarged. It was attached to the British Schools in South Worple Way, at the back of which was a small piece of ground used as a burial ground by the church. By the 1990s it was a rather overgrown, railed site containing up 12 - 16 tombstones. The British School then sold the site to a developer whose initial plan to build bungalows here was refused permission by Richmond Council. However, the burial ground is practically unrecognisable as such, having been landscaped by new owners into a small garden with grass, shrub beds and gravel path, with chain link fencing to the back gardens of houses to the west.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Only one gravestone remains, which has the inscription: 'William Marshall of Northampton; 24 August 1854, late of the Bootmakers Asylum of Mortlake Surrey'. The Master Bootmakers' Benevolent Institution was founded in 1836, and by 1850 it had built 'a long Elizabethan building. . . for pensioners of their society' on the north side of Mortlake railway station.
EH Listing Register; John Eustace Anderson 'A History of Mortlake', 1886 (facsimile with amendments by Raymond Gill, 1983)