|East Sheen Common||Richmond|
Adjoining Richmond Park and separated from it by a brick wall, Sheen Common was once part of the extensive common land predating the formation of Richmond Park. In the C18th George III had a farm to the west of the common near the parish boundary and King's Ride recalls the route from Kew Palace to the farm and Richmond Park. In 1845 the parish pound was moved to the common, which remained in the ownership of the Lord of the Manor until the East Sheen Common Preservation Society purchased the freehold in 1880. Today, owned by the National Trust and leased by Richmond Council, East Sheen Common consists of woodland, a cricket field, tennis courts and a bowling green.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.nationaltrust.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The East Sheen Common Preservation Society purchased the freehold of the common from Lord of the Manor, Earl Spencer, for £2,500, together with an additional £1,000 for their right to use the Rifle Butt that had been built on the Common by subscription in 1860 for the use of the 9th Surrey Royal Volunteers Corps, and later used by the Inns of Court Volunteers. In addition to the rifle range, previous uses of the common include a ladies golf course and a gravel extraction site, evidence of which can be seen in the uneven ground in the wooded area of the common. On its west flank is East Sheen Cemetery (q.v.).
John Archer, David Curson, 'Nature Conservation in Richmond upon Thames, Ecology Handbook 21', (London Ecology Unit) 1993 p45; John Eustace Anderson 'A History of Mortlake', 1886 (facsimile with amendments by Raymond Gill, 1983)