|Hampton Wick War Memorial Garden||Richmond|
Situated between Kingston Bridge and the entrance to Hampton Court's Home Park is the Hampton Wick War Memorial Garden. The Memorial commemorates casualties of both World Wars, 47 of whom fought in WWI. It was unveiled on 3 May 1921 with the Church Lads Brigade and a bugler from the East Surrey Regimental Depot at Kingston in attendance. In 1933 the Memorial was floodlit using gas from the Hampton Wick Gas Co. The Memorial Garden is not only the venue for the annual extremely well attended Remembrance Sunday service but also a tranquil place to visit all year round.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2016
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.richmond.gov.uk/parks_and_open_spaces
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Memorial Gardens, Hampton Wick, May 2016. Photograph Sally Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
Hampton Wick dates from at least medieval times, with evidence that there has been a bridge crossing the Thames to Kingston from 1193. The present Kingston Bridge dates from 1828 but has been widened since then. The riverside village prospered and grew, benefiting from not only the river crossing but from nearby Hampton Court Palace and Bushy Park (q.q.v.), which attracted the wealthy who built substantial properties along the river from the C18th. The arrival of the railway in 1863 led to further growth of Hampton Wick. The Memorial Garden is maintained with considerable input from the Hampton Wick Association. In 2014 they were supported by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association with a mass planting of spring bulbs. The Memorial is now the focal point for a significant piece of historical research, being catalogued by Alison Merrington at www.hwremembers.org.uk.
LB Richmond, Hampton Wick Conservation Area Study,