Hickey's Almshouses were designed by architect Louis Vulliamy, a range of neo-Tudor style buildings with very high chimneys. At the front is a porter's lodge, built 1850-3 and substantial railings form the boundary with Sheen Road. A plaque over the entrance records that the almshouses were built 'for ten poor men and ten poor women by the bounty of William Hickey Esq. who by his Will bequeathed certain Lands and Houses in Richmond in Trust for Charitable Purposes'. Hickey (d.1728) is buried in the churchyard of Richmond Parish Church of St Mary. The almshouses are set back behind a large garden of lawns with a few trees. A central path leads from the entrance gate and continues around the perimeter, with some flowers planted inside the lodge entrance.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.therichmondcharities.co.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Hickey's Almshouses - Photo: Sarah Jackson
Click photo to enlarge.
When he died William Hickey left much property in Richmond, and by his will he not only provided for pensions of £4 per annum for 6 poor men and 10 poor women to be elected by his Trustees but also provided for payment to each of the almspeople at Bishop Duppa' Almshouses, which had been founded in 1661, of an additional pension of £1 per annum. A gift of Elizabeth Doughty was added to Hickey's Trust in 1822 and by 1832 the value of the charity enabled his Trustees to apply to buy a site and erect almshouses. Permission was granted and Hickey's almshouses were built on Sheen Road, comprising 20 homes, a chapel, nurses' lodge and porter's lodge. In 1851 four new almshouses were built on land belonging to the Trustees in Adelaide road. In 1972 an additional 12 one-bedroomed bungalows were built at the rear.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; Richmond Charities' Almshouses notes, provided for Open Garden Squares Weekend, 2009