Houblon's Almshouses were founded in 1757 by Rebecca and Susanna Houblon, who vested the site for the almshouses and c.1 hectare of land at the rear, together with property in Harrow and Essex to endow the Almshouses. The walled almshouses were built in 1758, and are among the oldest to survive in Richmond. They comprise a range of three 2-storey blocks around 3 sides of a central garden. The pedimented entrance bay carries the inscription: 'These almshouses were erected and endowed by Mrs Rebecca and Mrs Susannah Houblon 1758'.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.therichmondcharities.co.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Rebecca and Susanna Houblon lived in a mansion on Richmond Hill, now Old Vicarage School, and were the unmarried daughters of Sir John Houblon, former Governor of the Bank of England. The family was probably descended from Huguenot refugees and the original stipulation was that residents of the almshouses should be Protestants. The rules governing the conduct of residents were extensive and fines were imposed for offences such as blasphemy, non-attendance at church, abusive or uncharitable language or blows, or 'tippling or drinking in any tavern, ale house or gin shop, or in any place where spirituous liquors are sold'.
Richmond Charities' Almshouses notes, provided for Open Garden Squares Weekend, 2009