Michel's Almshouses were established in 1695 by Humphrey Michel, the original block of 10 almshouses fronting The Vineyard. They were rebuilt in 1810/11 and are 2-storey, brick buildings with pitched slate roofs comprised of 2 ranges, with a central pediment over a slightly advanced centre with a cartouche containing a carved coat of arms above a large stone inscription. A later block of 6 additional almshouses was built at right angles in 1858-60, similar in appearance including the front wall, railings and entrance gates. The gardens to the front have trees, mixed shrub and flower borders and have won Gold in the Richmond in Bloom communal building category on a number of occasions.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.therichmondcharities.co.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
In addition to owning property in The Vineyard, the Michel charity owned property in Maiden Lane, which now forms part of the Adelphi Theatre. On his uncle's death, John Michel gave another endowment to the charity, and in 1727 William Smithet bequeathed three houses and land in Kew Foot Road and Michel's Row, Rosedale Road and Benn's Cottages were built there. Six almshouses were built on the site of Benn's Cottages in 1983, known as Benn's Walk.
Richmond Charities' Almshouses notes, provided for Open Garden Squares Weekend, 2009