Mortlake Crematorium was the first joint crematorium to be be established under its own Act of Parliament in 1936. The Crematorium was built at a cost of £27,000 to the north of Mortlake Cemetery and was opened by Lord Horder in January 1939. The large, austere and rather sprawling brick crematorium building has a wide sweep of drive in front, with a number of beds of ornamental planting within a circular lawn. Behind there are colonnades and a rose garden, with further formal gardens beyond this with lawns and a central open pavilion. A path runs around the edge of this garden area, with brick balustrading and short flights of steps at two of the corners and backing onto the hedge that separates it from the cemetery. Throughout the grounds are various ornamental trees and shrubs.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.mortlakecrematorium.org
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008)