|North Sheen Cemetery||Richmond|
North Sheen Cemetery was opened in 1909 to provide for Fulham burials when the old cemetery on Fulham Palace Road was full, hence its occasional name as Fulham New Cemetery. The cemetery was laid out with a grid layout of paths and initially had a temporary chapel, which was replaced by a small red brick chapel in 1931. Near this is the memorial garden to both world wars. The original boundary railings and its stone gate piers and ornamental gates at the main entrance on Lower Richmond Road.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.lbhf.gov.uk/Directory/Community_and_Living/Birth_marriage_and_death/
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Hugh Meller referred to the 'bulbous stone piers' around the perimeter as the best feature of the cemetery that were in 'the cinema moderne style of the 1920s'. The red brick chapel was designed by Arthur Holden, Fulham Borough Engineer, and opened in 1931. Following damage in WWII, new colourful stained glass showing scenes from the New Testament was installed in the chapel, the work of Antoine Acket. Near this is the memorial garden to both world wars with conifers and rose beds, backed by a stone wall and seating, and a garden with a broken circle of brick piers linked at the top by timber and with trimmed hedge in front. There is aromatic planting at the entrance on the north with several eucalyptus trees and conifers are planted along the boundary railings. Among those buried here is Morgan Phillips, General Secretary of the Labour Party (d.1963); in the Roman Catholic section are numerous graves of Polish people including Alexandra Pilsudska (1867-1963), widow of the Polish statesman Joseph Pilsudski.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008)