Following WWII much of the Victoria housing in the area was demolished and the area south of Clifton Crescent, which had been open space in the 1870s, was once more laid out as open space. The façade of Clifton Crescent was restored in 1977 and the houses converted to flats by LB Southwark. Brimmington Park was provided as a public amenity, an area of green space between the two roads on slightly undulating ground simply laid out with grass and some blocks of hedging. It extended to the east up to the railway where a playground was provided. Since 2005 new paths, seating and lighting have been installed, and a new playground was opened in 2008, with a small sensory garden nearby.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.southwark.gov.uk; www.brimmington-green.co.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Clifton Crescent overlooks an expanse of green that is the western portion of Brimmington Park. The Regency-style terrace was built in 1847-51 when the area was first developed for housing, and formed the north of what was then named Clifton Grove, an L-shaped street that at its eastern end joined Carlton Road (now Culmore Road) to the south. The terrace consisted of 34 red brick houses with cast iron porches, each having a separate front garden and long back garden. On the south side of Clifton Grove, a few houses were built by the 1870s at the western end, including two larger villas, to the east of which there remained an area of open land (OS 1873), which was bounded to the south by the back gardens of Carlton Road. To the east of Clifton Grove, leading up to the railway line and Old Kent Road station, were a series of gardens, one including a pond. The station had opened in 1866 and later renamed Old Kent Road and Hatcham. It was part of the London and South Coast Railway, and eventually closed in January 1917. By 1895 Clifton Grove and Carlton Road had been renamed Clifton Crescent and Culmore Road respectively, the shorter arm of Clifton Grove renamed Hove Street, and the open land had by now been entirely built over, with the Royal Bleaching and Cleaning Works to the east of Hove Street, renamed ‘Culmore Works’ by 1916 (OS). The area appeared little changed following WWII but it was later substantially redeveloped when much of the housing was demolished and the area south of Clifton Crescent once more laid out as open space.
In 2005 the Friends of Brimmington Park was established, and since then has worked to improve the park, which now has paths, seating and lighting. In November 2005, spring bulbs were planted, repeated in subsequent years, and in December 2005 a tree dressing event was held for National Tree Week. An annual Mid-Summer Festival has taken place since 2006. On 1 December 2006 a Winter Lantern Parade was held in conjunction with the Livesey Children's Museum, held for three consecutive years until the closure of the museum. A new children's play area was opened by the Mayor of Southwark in December 2008, with a small sensory garden nearby. The park won a Green Flag Award in 2010.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; Southwark Listed Buildings data