|Camberwell New Cemetery||Southwark|
Camberwell New Cemetery opened in 1927 after many years in the planning, when the growth in population necessitated increased burial facilities to those provided at Camberwell Old Cemetery. Part of the site was consecrated in 1927 before the cemetery buildings were built in 1928-30. Honor Oak Crematorium was built in the cemetery in 1939. An additional area was consecrated in 1992, the occasion commemorated by planting of a tree.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.southwark.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Purchase of land for the new cemetery by the Metropolitan Borough of Camberwell began in 1901. Part was let to Honor Oak and Forest Hill Golf Links from 1909-1919, and some of the land originally intended for burials continues to be a recreation ground. In January 1928 Sir Aston Webb was appointed architect and, working with his son Maurice, designed the cemetery buildings in Arts and Crafts style. Buildings of 1928-30 include the neo-Gothic twin chapels, which are divided by a tower and octagon, were built in 1928-30, one Anglican and the other Nonconformist; the Cemetery Lodge and Waiting Room the latter now a utility shed. The Church of England section had already been consecrated on 30 April 1927 by the Lord Bishop of Woolwich with the general section dedicated on 24 June of the same year by Free Church Ministers. In 1939 the Crematorium was added, designed by Maurice Webb. An additional area was consecrated in 1992 by the Revd Peter Hall, the occasion commemorated by planting of a tree. The entrance on Brenchley Gardens has stone gate piers and ornamental gages with two small lodges. Adjacent is Honor Oak Crematorium (q.v.), and Honor Oak Recreation Ground abuts both burial grounds. The south-west of the cemetery is on the slope of One Tree Hill (q.v.) and is wooded with fine views from the summit.
Among those buried here are Wilfred Kitching (d.1977) General of the Salvation Army from 1954-1963 within a plot set aside for officers of the Salvation Army; the popular singer Anne Shelton, the 'Forces' Favourite' in WWII; World Light Heavyweight Boxing Champion of 1948-50 Freddie Mills (d.1965) and one-time world weightlifting champion William Pullum (d.1960). A boxer and a large car sandblasted onto black marble near the chapels 'should not be missed' (Meller).
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); Ron Woollacott, 'Southwark's Burying Places, Past and Present', Magdala Terrace Nunhead Local History publication, 2001; Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; John Archer, Bob Britton, Robert Burley, Tony Hare, Ian Yarham, 'Nature Conservation in Southwark' Ecology Handbook 12, London Ecology Unit, 1989, p38; Southwark Listed Buildings data