|Dulwich Library Gardens||Southwark|
Dulwich Library was built on a site given by the Estates' Governors of Alleyn's College of God's Gift. A donation by philanthropist John Passmore Edwards paid for the building, and the foundation stone was laid by Sir Henry Irving. An additional sum was provided by Camberwell Vestry who laid out the surrounding land as a public garden. Dulwich Library was opened on 24 November 1897 by the Lord Chancellor, Lord Halsbury. The railed garden has some ornamental planting, rose beds and areas of lawn, with trees and shrubs on the perimeter.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/02/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.southwark.gov.uk/parks
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Dulwich Library was designed by R P Whellock and cost £5,800, to which the philanthropist John Passmore Edwards donated £5,000. The remaining £800 was paid by Camberwell Vestry who laid out the surrounding land as a public garden. Passmore Edwards donated money for 70 free libraries, hospitals and convalescent homes throughout the UK, including Nunhead Library which opened in 1896. The foundation stone was laid by Sir Henry Irving and Dulwich Library was opened on 24 November 1897 by the Lord Chancellor, Lord Halsbury who had presided over the production of the 'Laws of England'. The garden has some ornamental planting with palms along side of library building and a few rose beds otherwise the gardens are lawns with trees and shrubs on perimeter.
John D Beasley, 'Southwark Remembered', Tempus Publishing, 2001; L'The London County Council and what it does for London: London Parks and Open Spaces' (Hodder & Stoughton, 1924)