Faraday Gardens opened in July 1905. The land was originally part of St Peter's Churchyard, which became a public garden in 1895. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners set aside this area for public recreation when they were developing the area. The gardens were named after the chemist and physicist Michael Faraday, who was born in Newington Butts in 1791 and lived in the area.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2017
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.southwark.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The land was originally part of St Peter's Churchyard (q.v.), which became a public garden in 1895; Faraday Gardens opened in July 1905. The freeholders, Ecclesiastical Commissioners, formed Faraday Gardens in 1905 when they were developing their land and set aside this area for public recreation and gave it to the Metropolitan Borough of Southwark who laid out a playground. The gardens were named after Michael Faraday, chemist and physicist famous for work with electricity and magnetism who lived in the area and was born in Newington Butts in 1791. He died in 1867 and is buried at Highgate Cemetery (q.v.). He is also commemorated locally by the central stainless steel sculptural feature at Elephant and Castle that masks a London Transport electricity sub-station. Trees in the park include wild cherry, lime, Norway maple, plum cherry, Italian alder, hornbeam, false acacia.
LB Southwark Archive; John Beasley, 'Southwark Remembered' (Tempus Publishing, 2001) p75; London Parks and Open Spaces, London County Council 1924