|Honor Oak Crematorium||Southwark|
Honor Oak Crematorium was established by the Metropolitan Borough of Camberwell adjoining Camberwell New Cemetery, with c.2.43 hectares laid out as a Garden of Remembrance, opened by Lord Horder in 1939. The landscaped grounds include rose beds, numerous trees, and a long pergola near the main entrance erected in 1991.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.southwark.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Italianate crematorium 'with a chimney that resembles the cathedral campanile at Venice' (Meller) was designed by Borough Architect William Bell and Maurice Webb, son of Sir Aston Webb whose company had designed Camberwell New Cemetery. To the south of the building is the cloister and Columbarium. Among those cremated here were sculptor Otakar Steinberger (d.1939); author Henry Marsh later called Beram Shapurji Saklatvala (d.1976), Dr Harold Arundel Moody (d.1947), who founded the League of Coloured Peoples; and the Revd Canon George Potter (d.1960) called 'Father Potter of Peckham' who founded the Brotherhood of the Holy Cross
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); Ron Woollacott, 'Southwark's Burying Places, Past and Present', Magdala Terrace Nunhead Local History publication, 2001; Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999.