|Leyton Square Garden||Southwark|
Leyton Square was opened to the public in 1901, after Camberwell Borough Council purchased the land in 1899 for £3,000, of which £1,500 was provided by the LCC, plus £683 for half the paving expenses. The garden has since been reconfigured, and is now within a more recent housing estate. Laid out on slightly undulating ground, it is largely laid to grass with recreation facilities, paths and seating. There are scattered trees including lines of older plane trees, presumably marking the original perimeter.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2002
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.southwark.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Leyton Square was flanked on three sides by the roadway and on the south side overlooked by adjoining back gardens. It was preserved under the London Squares and Enclosures (Preservation) Act of 1906 and the London Squares Preservation Act of 1931. Since reconfigured, and now within a more recent housing estate, the park has slightly undulating ground, and is largely laid to grass with recreation facilities, paths and seating. There are scattered trees including lines of older plane trees, presumably marking the original perimeter. A tiled community mural with the words 'Canal Bridge Green Fayre' is located on a gable wall overlooking the park. In the garden is a drinking fountain provided at the expense of John Passmore Edwards, who also provided fountains at Christchurch Blackfriars (q.v.), Hoxton Square (q.v.) and Duncan Terrace, Islington.
Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928; 'The London County Council and what it does for London: London Parks and Open Spaces' (Hodder & Stoughton, 1924); Southwark Listed Buildings data